Requirements to Adopt
Adoptive families must meet the following basic eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Married at least three years (Applicants are not disqualified if there is a history of previous marriage)
- Stable relationships with spouse and children
- Those seeking single parent adoption must meet all other applicable requirements
- Have no current history of drug or alcohol abuse.
- Minimum age: 25 years of age
- Maximum age: at least one of the couple must be younger than 40 years of age
- Free of communicable disease and be in sufficient good health to raise the child to adulthood including freedom from TB and HIV
- Sufficient financial resources to meets the child's needs
- Living arrangements conducive to a child's safety and well-being
- No criminal background or history of child sexual or physical abuse
- Physical and emotional stability
- Demonstrate a strong commitment and desire to adopt; this commitment and desire must be demonstrated by both parents
- Residents of the State of Texas.